Monday, July 22, 2013

One of the biggest things that has stuck out to me this far on the trip has been the joy that the people in Guatemala have constantly. I'm not sure why but I expected the people who live in a neighborhood like this to be sad and have no joy in their lives because of the way they live. It has been the complete opposite. Everyone here is always smiling and waving at us and it so obvious that my ideas about them were so far off. I mentioned this in prayer groups last night and one of the translators said something that really made me think. She said something along the lines of "the people here have no reason to be sad because they haven't seen any way else to live. The people in the U.S. have seen what they can have but don't, and it makes them unhappy." It made me realize how much I constantly want more and more and see new things that I could have and when I don't get it, I become unhappy. Seeing the way people here have as much or even more love for Jesus than we do in the States has shown me that my desires are pointless when my relationship with Jesus is the most important thing in my life. The people here have nothing, yet they constantly praise the Lord. It has shown me what is really important in my life right now.
I find it so amazing how the people of Guatemala have been serving us in ways that we never expected or imagined. We are supposed to be serving them, yet they have taught us so much and are changing our lives. I JUST LOVE IT HERE. Period.

-Cally Z


5 comments:

  1. Cally, I pray that you always remember this joy. We are all to have this much joy, it is one of the fruits of the spirit after all, but it is Satan who lies and deceives us into the "if only" thoughts (you know, if only I had that car, house, job, boy, etc) but joy come from above. You are so blessed to have witnessed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is so beautiful. Praying God keeps this fresh for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that you are learning such amazing lessons from this experience! Praying that you all stay safe and healthy. Miss you Cally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a former teacher of Alexa Cornish. I went on a mission trip to Guatemala 5 years ago. Like Cally, I remember being amazed at how happy the kids were in the villages. I reflected on what made my kids at home sad and it usually was fighting with each other over stuff. That trip was life changing and gave me such perspective. God bless each one of you...you are doing such beautiful work. May you continue to do God's work and safe travels to you all.
    Amy Halstrom

    ReplyDelete